Tuesday 4 February 2014

Great Movies of 2013: Action and Thriller

This is my last installment discussing my favorite movies of 2013.  My first blog has my top 5, followed by a second blog on my favorite Romance and Comedy movies and most recently I wrote about my favorite Dramatic movies.  As mentioned before I'm not a fan of gore, so there will not be any commentary on Horror movies and I don't go out of my way to see any animated movies other than something from Aardman Studios.  Keeping with policy of no spoliers, there are none below.

In my top 5 movies I already said that Gravity was my favorite movie of 2013 and I rated Rush as my third favorite movie of 2013.  So, what other movies are great?  Per my opinion these both are worth watching,

Action:


Captain Phillips


Captain Phillips (Adventure/Drama)  - Tom Hanks gives a great performance as Captain Phillips along with Barkhad Abdi who plays the Somali pirate in this action/dramatic movie based on the real life events that occurred on the Maersk Alabama.  You can see my original movie review here
When I started blogging I thought that I would write more movie reviews, but I rarely ever see a movie opening weekend anymore. As for action/dramatic movies I would put the story, cinematography and character development for Rush above Captain Phillips.  However, watching this movie is certainly a good use of anyone's time.  (My IMDB rating 8/10)







Star Trek Into Darkness



Star Trek Into Darkness - Action/Sci-Fi - This is the second installment in the original Star Trek reboot and it features a young crew led by Chris Pine as Captain James Tiberius Kirk.  In this installment a terrorist attempts to destroy a Young Federation of Planets and the team on the USS Enterprise has to stop this one-man  weapon of self destruction. 

What makes this movie enjoyable is the great action sequences, great CGI and these young actors bringing the original Star Trek characters back to life.  JJ Abrams does a great job in creating the pace of this movie and it is solid on the overall canon of Star Trek.  I think this movie is worth seeing if you are a Trekkie or not... But if you are a Trekkie you would have seen this back in May of 2013 and would have formed your own thorough opinion.  This movie was the first time a Star Trek movie was done in 3D and probably best watched on a 3D television.  There are a few particular sequences that were extremely well done and I won't spoil them for you.  This movie was released well before Christmas on DVD.  (My IMDB rating 8/10)



I made a concerted effort the last few weeks to see several Dramas, but I have not made the same effort with action movies.  I would like to see still of 2013 RED 2, Wolverine and Enders Game.  Other action movies I thought were solid include The Hunger Games: Catching Fire starring Jennifer Lawrence, Catching Fire Elysium starring Matt Damon and Jodie Foster, and Oblivion starring Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman.   The latter deserves a George Lucas rewrite for the ending.  


Was there an action movie that was better than my four suggestions?  Was Superman really that super?  Are you not sick of Ironman?  Tell me what you think below.  


No comments:

Post a Comment